Monday 14 April 2014

The trust open day experience

Coming in on a Saturday was tough I’m not going to lie. I’ve been a wee bit sleep deprived for the past 6 weeks thanks to the arrival of my baby daughter and I’ve really come to appreciate those precious weekend mornings when I don’t have to get out of bed early. But duty calls and I got myself spruced up, in the car and into the education centre in good time ready to meet and greet the general public. And I’m glad I did. Straight away you could tell there was a positive vibe in the room and it was evident that the members of staff who had made the effort to come in were keen and excited to demonstrate the work that they do.

Visitors to the open day were given interactive tours of some of the wards in the hospital, plus a viewing of displays in the education centre from various departments within the trust. We focused our display on the literature search service that the library provides. As I’d said in my previous post, we really wanted to share with the public some of the important work that they might not necessarily associate the library with being involved in. So, with this in mind one of our display boards proudly boasted some of the projects that have been in the media and which the library found evidence to support. Things like;

·         The trial of blue plates to encourage elderly patients to eat more.

·         My Trusty Little Sunflower Cream

·         Publication of a Speech Therapy handbook, written by staff at the hospital

·         New, better quality uniforms for hospital staff
Our display for the day
There was a board that emphasised our role in supporting the hospital staff to help achieve evidence-based patient care and another with a visual guide to how the literature search service works... very exciting stuff! As a way of demonstrating that we are a modern, high tech library, we also used a laptop to display a looped presentation that mostly repeated the information on the boards, but with some funky animations and eye-catching graphs.
Making it a bit more interesting


Before the visitors arrived Peter Hill our benevolent Chief Executive, walked around and spoke informally to each person manning a stand. He asked me what it was I planned to talk to people about during the day (possibly worried that I wasn’t going to bore the good folk with mundane library stuff) and he seemed genuinely delighted that I would be highlighting the evidence finding work that we do and that I was using some very high profile projects as examples. This point of the morning also gave me a nice opportunity to network with other members of staff and a chance to sell our services to those who hadn’t already used the library.

During the afternoon I also got a chance to meet Nick Marsden the trust Chairman and had a really positive discussion about how the library finds evidence for staff. Not only did he seem very interested, but he’s also promised to make contact about some ways we might be able to help him.

The first visitors arrived in the education centre around 9:30 and from then on it was a steady stream of people until 14:30. Overall the open day attracted over 170 visitors, not too bad really! Each and every member of the public that I spoke to had nothing but good things to say about, not only the open day, but the staff and the hospital in general and you got a real sense of local pride.

I really enjoyed chatting to people who you wouldn’t normally get a chance to discuss the work done by the library with. I feel confident that those who I spoke to came away with a different view of the library and hopefully an appreciation of the role we play in the trust. For those who assumed that we supply fiction books for patients, it was a nice surprise for them to hear that some of the work we’ve done has influenced the care patients receive and how our service benefits the staff and students. The fact that we were involved with ‘My Trusty Little Sunflower Cream’ and the blue plates for elderly patients initiatives really seemed to impress people and again, I think this had a really positive impact. I certainly received some very nice comments and I’m sure it’s not just because they were in a good mood and wanted to be polite.

I was also interviewed by our very own Radio Odstock. As the microphone was thrust in my face I had a flashback to the last time that I was on the radio. On that occasion I had inadvertently slipped into a strange accent of no real origin, so needless to say I was determined not to let this happen again. The interview went fine, with no unexplained voice changes and I reckon I made the library sound pretty impressive, which it is of course.

One of the personal highlights of the day was getting to chat with Michael Beck who was awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM) for services to charity. As you may or may not know, Michael is 80 years old and has been pushing around his trusty wheelbarrow, “Wally” for 10 years, collecting over £175,000 in donations for our hospital charity 'Stars Appeal'. He has become a familiar figure around Salisbury during regular collections at shops and pubs, the livestock market and the hospital, in addition to going along to support annual charity events like the Tidworth 10k and Walk for Wards. Michael had received treatment at this hospital for blood and prostate cancer and he was full of praise for the care he received and immensely proud to have raised so much money for the hospital. We talked about his upcoming visit to Buckingham Palace and his war medals that he wants to get polished up for his meeting with the Queen. It was a short but lovely conversation with such a nice, funny and selfless man.

The open day has been deemed a success from the trust’s point of view, receiving glowing reviews from the visitors on the day and positive feedback from the staff who attended. I thought all of the staff members on day really did this trust proud and it is credit to them that on a weekend morning, standing around for hours with your back and feet aching, they all remained courteous, friendly and good humoured. Well done! 

Spreading the good word with staff and the public
The official trust press release of the day can be found here.

From a library perspective I would certainly say it was worthwhile doing. At the end of the day, the public are not the ones who will use the library but it was good to show people behind the scenes and open their eyes to the work we do. It makes me feel proud of where I work and enhances my belief that what we do is important.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment